Monday, August 12, 2013

An Introduction

Hi, I'm Frank. I'll be heading to Thailand soon and have decided to keep a blog of my adventures. I'm 18 years old, graduated high school this year, and will be spending a year in Thailand with the Rotary Youth Exchange program.
Some quick facts on Thailand: 
Thailand is officially called the Kingdom of Thailand, but it's friends usually just call it Thailand. The official language is Thai. While it does have an alphabet, like English, it remains plenty difficult to learn, I assure you. Thailand is known for its rich culture, Buddhist heritage (a religion practiced by roughly 90% of the population), and delicious food. Thailand is currently ruled by a Unitary Parliament and Constitutional Monarchy. The King, Bhumibol Adulyadej, is known as King Rama IX. Having ruled since 1946, he is currently the longest-serving head of state currently in power. He is known for his prowess on the clarinet and saxophone and is the only Thai head of state to hold a patent for something called the "Super-sandwich". It is tragically, a water pump system and not a food item. The town I will be living in is called Nan, located in the province called...Nan. Nan, Nan, Thailand. If the Wikipedia page can be believed, Nan is a town of roughly 25,000 people. Northfield, where I'm from, has a population of 20,000, so I'm hugely curious to see how a town of this size in America compares to one in Thailand. Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure of my living situation and will write more about when I'm actually there.

Until then, I've got the next couple hours left at home. The next time I write will be from Thailand. Good luck to everyone, whether your year is abroad or not, I hope I have exciting things for you to look at on this blog.

Thanks (Khap Khun)

No comments:

Post a Comment