Tuesday, November 12, 2013

North by Northwest Part 2: Mei Sai Revisited

We left the Tea Soldiers of Mae Salong and headed to Mei Sai, arriving at my host grandparent’s hardware shop/home at about 9 at night. Even though Mei Sai is not that much larger than Nan, it has a decidedly more urban feel to it. While there are very few standalone homes, almost every single building is a business of some sort, which the owners live above. Visiting Mei Sai last time with Note (incorrectly called Virat in the Trip within a Trip post), we stayed in a hotel, but this time I was in a room on the third floor of my grandparent’s hardware shop.

The main attraction of Mei Sai is the exit. Specifically, the border to Burma. Mei Sai’s main street runs directly to the checkpoint and during the day it’s a near constant flow between the two countries. Thais will buy their groceries in Burma because it’s cheaper, tourists will spend the day shopping in Burma and sleep in Thailand because it’s more comfortable, and Burmese people will work in Thailand before returning home. I made it into Burma for a day, but in this post I’d like to talk about Mei Sai.

Seeing Mei Sai again was a real treat for me. The first time I was there I’d been in Thailand for less than a week. Everything I saw in my head was just sort of mangled into this singular image of “Thailand”, and I didn’t really get any taste of the local Mei Sai flavor. The population here is decidedly more diverse than Nan. While there are mostly Buddhist Thais, there are still a large amount of Burmese, Chinese Muslims, and the various native populations that are collectively called “Hill Tribes”.

I was most surprised at seeing the Muslims. Going through the morning market I saw a number of women with headscarves and even a couple of full-on Burkas. I was astounded that I hadn’t noticed this before. Thailand, for all of its graces, can be a bit racist towards Muslims. There’s been some violence between Buddhist and Muslims in the south, and before coming to Mei Sai I hadn’t seen a single Muslim person in Thailand. Here they are pretty prevalent, and cut a distinct image from the other Thais. I mentioned the women’s attire, and the men sport lush beards. Having had to shave so as to fit in here, I can’t help but envy those guys. Sigh…

Mei Sai has a booming market that almost everyone in the town goes to. It’s where you buy groceries, clothes, or household items. While the soil around the area is fertile, it’s largely used for cash crops like tea and tobacco, so the food is all concentrated into this market. Nan has a couple of different markets around town throughout the day, but the one in Mei Sai is huge, easily taking up an entire city block.

My host father spent the morning and then visited a jade factory owned by a Rotarian. It was a really impressive operation, combining the highly industrialized rock carving with the more finite work of the artists. The factory produces statues of the Buddha, in his trademark kneeling position. The Theravada Buddha (which is the skinny one, the fat one comes from China, I believe) is an image attached to Thailand. You see statues and paintings in every temple, school, restaurant, and home. It’s everywhere.

It’s always struck me as a pretty stoic figure. A delicate, but composed, deity casting his all-seeing, all-knowing presence over you. While Buddhism is technically an atheistic religion, in its practice the Buddha is a god. Thais pray to him, go to temple with offerings to secure good luck, and every month send messages to the deceased in a procedure at the temple.

At the same time, the Buddha has a very human story of enlightenment, self-sacrifice, and teaching that is inherent to the religion. I’ve always struggled with this part. Simply put, I can’t really see the Buddha as a person. He’s an icon, an ideal, but not really a person.

The jade factory was an insightful experience. Seeing the origins of this image, built by many of the uneducated lower class that the Buddha sought to help in his time, humanized him for me. Before the statues are given details, they contain the rough shape of his face, crude and imperfect. It is through the work of others that the perfectly impassive deity is formed. The statue is born of rock, of the earth, not the heavens.  Whatever powers have been given to him today, the Buddha is a man. An incredibly wise man, whose teachings have probably gone farther than he could have imagined, but man none the less.

Leaving the half-finished Buddha statues that would be finding their way around the country soon, my host father and I hit up an awesome Muslim restaurant. For the past couple months I’ve been pretty much eating exclusively Thai food, with the occasional American meal in there, since ethnic food isn’t really available. This isn’t a problem, since it involves eating a lot of Thai food. But eating Muslim style beef-fried rice (no pork at a Muslim restaurant) was a triumph for my palette.


Mei Sai thoroughly explored and enjoyed, my host father and I went to Burma.

No comments:

Post a Comment